When it comes to natural vs homeopathic medication, the two terms are often used interchangeably as alternatives to pharmaceutical drugs. But while both are considered less invasive than conventional medicine, they are not the same thing.
Find out how to distinguish a natural product from a homeopathic one and which one is more effective for relieving stress and anxiety.
Natural Products for Anxiety
We all experience anxiety from time to time, especially during stressful events like a job interview or public speaking engagement. But anxiety can become a bigger issue if it shows up frequently and interferes with your quality of life.
- Herbal remedies: Some of the top herbs used to manage anxiety are passionflower, lavender, chamomile, lemon balm, ashwagandha, kava kava, gingko biloba, and valerian. They can be taken in supplement form or as medicinal teas.
A comprehensive review of more than 100 studies over a 20-year period revealed that 45 percent of the studies demonstrated herbal supplements to be beneficial on anxiety and depression symptoms with fewer negative effects than traditional medication.1 However, it’s always recommended to speak with a doctor to avoid potential interactions with medications or health conditions.
- Essential oils: Used in aromatherapy, essential oils containing lavender, jasmine, holy basil, patchouli, ylang-ylang, or rose may help alleviate anxiety. The oils can be used in a diffuser or on the skin and are thought to activate scent olfactory receptors that have calming effects on the central nervous system.
- CBD: CBD is the non-psychoactive component of the cannabis plant, which is said to have a number of medicinal properties, from easing muscle pain to relieving anxiety. Though studies have shown its efficacy in alleviating anxiety, the ADAA has reported that there are not enough properly controlled clinical trials to support using CBD.2 This is especially important when considering giving CBD to children, as there is not enough research on the substance’s potential long-term side effects.
- Weighted blankets: Heavier than a typical comforter, weighted blankets are designed to calm the nervous system through a “grounding” effect. Studies show that weighted blankets may relieve stress and anxiety and help improve sleep, though precautions should be taken with children.3
- Magnesium: Because it helps to regulate neurotransmitters, magnesium is sometimes used to reduce anxiety. A 2017 study on magnesium supplementation revealed that magnesium may help reduce anxiety by improving brain function and modulating central and peripheral endocrine responses.4 However, it is important to know the source of your magnesium. If it is sourced from the sea like the popular CALM product, it may trace amounts of arsenic and the chemical toxins cadmium and lead.
- L-theanine: Found in black and green herbal tea, L-theanine is an amino acid that may have an anti-anxiety effect.5 But keep in mind that black and green tea also have high caffeine content, which can cause nausea, irritability, and GI upset if used in excess.
- 5-HTP: This popular supplement consists of an amino acid that serves as a precursor to serotonin, a neurotransmitter associated with mood regulation. Research indicates that 5-HTP may improve anxiety and fatigue, but there may be adverse reactions like nausea, heartburn and gas.6
irritability and impulsivity.
TRY BRILLIA TODAY
Homeopathy for Anxiety
Homeopathic medications consist of highly diluted substances, which can range from plants and minerals to animal products and other natural sources. Brillia is a non-prescription homeopathic medication for anxiety, which merges homeopathy with antibody science. The active ingredient consists of antibodies to the S100B protein, which is an important regulator of many different intracellular and extracellular brain processes. Almost all mental and neurological diseases (as well as temporal stress-induced conditions) are accompanied by a disturbance of these processes.
Numerous studies link the S100 proteins to anxiety-related behavior and mood disorders, and research shows that antibodies to these proteins are an effective method of reducing anxiety while promoting mental clarity and balance.7, 8
Brillia works by binding to the S100B protein and regulating its activity, without altering it, thus preventing symptoms of anxiety from manifesting without any harmful side effects. Unlike prescription drugs, which contain harsh synthetic chemicals, Brillia has no contraindications with any medications, so it can be added to your regimen without worry. There are two formulations available: Brillia for Children and Brillia for Adults.
What’s the Difference Between Homeopathic & Natural?
While naturopathy and homeopathy are considered less invasive than pharmaceuticals, they are not the same thing. “Natural” implies using a variety of modalities to prevent or manage symptoms related to a condition or illness, ranging from plants and herbs to nutritional adjustments and physical therapy. Homeopathic medication involves administering small doses of diluted substances to elicit a reaction in your natural defenses to help the body heal itself.
Both non-prescription and prescription homeopathic medications that are legally sold in the U.S. must undergo FDA clearance for safety and efficacy, while the same cannot always be said for supplements marketed as “natural” products. Homeopathic products such as Brillia are regulated somewhat differently than other drug products. They are required to provide substantive documentation with clinical trials and studies of the claims that the product makes, abide by FDA standards and regulations (e.g., for quality and labeling), and go through a proper registration process detailing active ingredients and inactive ingredients in order to be allowed to be sold in the U.S.
Brillia has also been used in Europe for almost 10 years with great success and history supporting its efficacy as well as its safety. The boxes cannot be sold until FDA clearance is issued. So Brillia has met all requirements and completed all procedures to be reviewed by FDA and secure permissions to be sold in the U.S.
Which Type of Product is Better for Anxiety?
While studies show that natural products can be an effective method for managing anxiety, some experts believe their effectiveness is due to a placebo effect. And some of these products should be used with care to ensure there are no adverse side effects experienced.
A homeopathic medication like Brillia is a great first line of defense in reducing anxiety with clinical studies to support the product’s claims. Safe, effective, and free from contraindications, the medication can even be used in tandem with any of the supplements used above if you are looking for more support. Brillia is also just one component to a holistic approach known as the 5 Pillars. Consisting of a healthy diet, adequate sleep, mindfulness, and controlled screen time, the 5 Pillars promote healthy lifestyle habits to maximize the medication’s success. By combining behavioral science with antibody science, you can be assured that you and/or your child will have numerous approaches to dealing with anxiety when it arises.
Most Effective Anxiety Medications
At Brillia, we know that prescription medications for anxiety can be highly effective for many, but such strong measures may not be necessary for many, which is why we believe they work best as a last resort after gentler routes have been explored. These may include any of the natural products listed above alongside healthy lifestyle habits that support your mental health. It’s best to remember that there’s no one-size-fits-all approach to managing anxiety, and sometimes trial and error will help you find what’s best for you. Remember, there is no “cure” or magic pill for anxiety, but a medication like Brillia can make managing symptoms easier.
The goal of Brillia is that as adults and/or children adapt to the healthier lifestyle choices listed in the 5 Pillars, less and less of a product or medications is needed. And if you still need something more, Brillia can offer this additional support without harmful side effects. It is merely a safe, impactful, and targeted option to consider before resorting to prescription medications. Best of all, you won’t build up a tolerance to it, so you do not have to incrementally increase your dosage of Brillia to see results (as you do for most prescription medications). Brillia can be used for as long as you or your child needs support and once you stop taking it, the medication will completely leave the system without producing any “coming” off side effects. Brillia does not leave any footprint on the system nor does it alter blood chemistry.
If you are already taking medication for anxiety, Brillia can be a useful addition to your regimen if you are thinking of switching to a non-prescription medication, if you do not want to increase the dosage to your current medication, or if you want to alleviate side effects caused by your prescription medication or lingering symptoms (such as anxiety). Keep in mind that Brillia is a gentle and cumulative product, which means that you must give the active ingredient time to build up in your system with consistent daily use, in order to see results. Some notice a difference after the first two to three weeks of starting Brillia, but for others it can take longer. We recommend using Brillia alongside your current prescription medications for at least three to four weeks before assessing results.